Glen Johnson

Submitted by on Sep 3, 2015

Liverpool transfer news: Glen Johnson expects to leave this summer with contract running out as Brendan Rodgers prepares for squad overhaul

Thursday 30 April 2015

Glen Johnson is ready to leave Liverpool after admitting the club have not offered him a new contract with his current deal set to expire at the end of the season.

Speaking publicly for the first time about his future, Johnson revealed that he expects to be on the lookout for a new club in the summer after six years at Anfield.

“Everyone knows where I am,” said the 30-year-old. “[But] I have no contract, and I don’t think that will change.”

The England international is on a reported £139,000-a-week, and his high wages are a key reason in the club’s decision to let him leave despite the prospect of a free transfer.

Johnson backed the club for a summer overhaul in a bid to get the Premier League hopes back on track. After last season’s successful campaign saw Liverpool challenge for the title only to fall short at the finish line, the Reds went into this season with high hopes that the team could go one better, but that has proved to be far from the case with Liverpool set to miss out on the top four altogether.

However, Johnson says that he and the side are determined to keep fighting until the very end, although the 1-0 defeat to Hull on Tuesday ended any hope of overtaking fourth-placed Manchester United and now puts them in a battle just to hold on to their Europa League qualification berth.

“Every team wants to finish as high in the Premier League as possible,” Johnson added. “With the Europa League, you do get a lot more games, but it’s a competition you would rather be in than not.

“We’re all professionals, otherwise we would not be at a club like Liverpool. We’ve got four more games to concentrate on to try to get a few more points. That’s what we will concentrate on doing.”

Liverpool defender Glen Johnson

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers echoed Johnson’s words in that the club will undergo a significant change in the summer, given this seasons failing in the transfer market. The sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona last summer generated £75m for the club to spend, but big money moves for the likes of Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Mario Balotelli have not worked out as was hoped and a number of players could be shifted on when the transfer window reopens in July.

“The challenge for next year is to build a team that can get through the rough waters as well and that is going to be critical for us,” said Rodgers.

“We’ve got a lot of fantastic players but when it is tough we have to get through that and if we want to make a challenge like we did last year, that is what we have to do.

“The challenge for me until the end of pre-season is to rebuild a group that can get through. The players here have given their best to meet that challenge but we have to refocus again and look to improve the squad.”

Glen JohnsonGlen Johnson
Glen JohnsonGlen Johnson
Glen JohnsonGlen Johnson

Leave a Comment